- Share Your Engagement News with Family and Friends – If possible, contact your closest friends and immediate family first avoiding the chance that they might find out from someone else before you had the chance to tell them!
- Place an engagement announcement in the newspaper
- Decide whether you will have an engagement party -
If Yes; ◊ Book venue for engagement party;
◊ Organise catering for engagement party;
◊ Send out invitations for engagement party;
◊ Order cake for engagement party.
- Set Wedding Date – Take into consideration seasons, most popular months for weddings (as venue hire costs may be more expensive during the peak times) and also public holidays and school holiday periods when travel for your guests may be more expensive. Certain factors may influence or basically decide a wedding date for you if you are set on having your wedding at a particular venue as popular venues can are booked 6-12 months in advance. Keep this in mind and make sure you keep your mind open to considering other dates if your heart is set on one of the more popular locations!
- Determine the Style of Wedding that you wish to have including the style of your ceremony and your reception. For example, formal or informal, marquee or hotel reception, beach or garden ceremony. It is effective to carry this theme throughout your day for example, if you have decided on an informal beach ceremony you might wish to consider having your reception at a surf club near by or a waterfront restaurant.
- Discuss and Set Your Wedding Budget – This will be an influential or deciding factor on the ceremony and reception venue you book and how much you can afford on your other wedding essentials such as your wedding dress, photographer and make-up and hair etc. Use the Brides in Brisbane Budget Tool located on the front page under Planning Tools or on the menu bar under Budget.
- Compile Rough Guest List– Determining the number of guests you will have at your wedding will help decide what type of ceremony and reception venue you are looking for and you will be able to rule out certain venues immediately if you fall under the venue’s minimum or maximum guest numbers.
- Choose a Suitable Ceremony and Reception Venue and Book Them! Use a wedding specialty site such as Brides in Brisbane to search different venue options for both your ceremony and reception locations as there may be amazing venues that you weren’t aware of that are perfect for your needs! Once these important decisions have been made and both you and your fiancé are in agreement make tentative bookings ASAP and make deposits to ensure you don’t miss out!If you are planning an outdoor wedding ceremony, play it safe and consider back up options in the event of wet weather. You do not want to be left a week or two out from the wedding with bad weather forecasts and no alternatives!
- Book Your Wedding Officiant (For example a celebrant, pries, minister or pastor) - you should already have an idea now on what kind of ceremony you will have for your wedding, whether it be a religious ceremony in a church or a civil ceremony in a chapel or garden ceremony with a celebrant.
- Book a Caterer if food is not included or provided for in your reception venue package.
- Begin Your Search for Your Wedding Dress! One of the most exciting and important decisions of the wedding! Try on many different styles and colours (ivory, cream, white, pink and even red!) in your first visits to wedding dress shops and learn what styles suit your shape. Narrow the dress styles down to those that draw attention to your assets and are most flattering for your figure and rule out all other styles. This should make dress hunting easier, as it is sometimes overwhelming and confusing choosing from a myriad of dress styles and colours available.
- Choose and Book Your Photographer & Videographer– these are also crucial decisions to make that will contribute to the success of your wedding day. This decision will not just stay with you for the wedding day but for a lifetime as you and your family will treasure the memories that are captured in your wedding photos and video. These are generally the largest expenses you will have for your wedding day (after your reception costs) but ultimately the most important investments!
NOTE: See wedding timeline and tips for 9 to 11 months before your wedding by selecting this time period in the left hand side menu.